Dr. Anna Oehmichen
Admitted to the bar since 2011
Anna studied at the Universities of Trier and Alcalá de Henares (Spain) and completed her doctorate at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands in international comparative criminal law in the field of counter-terrorism legislation and human rights. She completed a Legal Clerkship at the International Criminal Court and subsequently a Traineeship at Europol in The Hague. During her post graduate judicial trainee period she worked, amongst other things, at a Belgian defence lawyers office, an international corporate law firm and the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Berlin.
During subsequent years, Anna conducted research activities at the German Institute of Criminology, the National Agency for the Prevention of Torture and the Department of Economic Criminal Law of Prof. Dr. Thomas Rotsch (Justus-Liebig-University of Gießen).
Since October 2011 Anna has worked with Knierim & Kollegen concomitantly to her research activities, and since August 2012 she has been employed as a lawyer at the firm. Her specialisation covers the practice of cross-border internal investigations as well as international and European criminal law and human rights aspects. She publishes regularly in these areas of law.
Anna has relevant experience in different industrial sectors in criminal proceedings, provides compliance and preventive (“white-collar”) advice to executive managers in automotive industry, mechanical engineering companies, retail trade, oil & gas, services sector, gastronomy as well as medical and pharmaceutical industry. Due to her outstanding international commitment and her language skills – besides German, she speaks English, French, Spanish and Dutch – Anna further advises in cross-border cases of legal assistance in criminal matters, e.g. in European Arrest Warrant cases or red notices from Interpol, as well as sanctions law. Further, Anna advises in a case before an international criminal tribunal and has also defended in a national case concerning participation in terrorism and war crimes allegations in Rwanda.
She is a member of Fair Trial International’s Legal Expert Advisory Panel (LEAP), of Defence Extradition Lawyers‘ Forum (DELF), of International Criminal Defence Lawyers - Germany e.V. and of the European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA), in which she established the working group ACE (Anti-Corruption in Europe). She also holds also membership in the German Lawyer’s association (DAV), the German Forum of Young lawyers and the Commercial Criminal Law Association (WiSteV), and is member of the friends of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and of the European Law Academy (ERA).
Dr. Oehmichen gives lectures at the Justus-Liebig-University of Gießen. Since 2012 Dr. Oehmichen is a contributor to Beck’s News Service of criminal law.
Dr. Anna Oehmichen has been successfully chosen as a winner of a 2019 International Advisory Experts Award in the field „Criminal Law within Germany“. International Advisory Experts is a global alliance of well-established and experienced legal, financial and consulting firms and each year we pay tribute to firms who have been successful over the past 12 months and have received exceptional praise from their peers.
Thanks to the commitment of our partner Dr. Anna Oehmichen, the Federal Constitutional Court stopped the extradition of a client to Romania via an injunctive relief.
For a selection of relevant publications, please see below. For a complete list of all publications and presentations, please refer to our Publications page of this site.
- Oehmichen/Schmid, Das Kaninchen aus dem Hut – § 131 StPO und die Zuständigkeit deutscher (Amts-)Gerichte für den Erlass des Europäischen Haftbefehls (§ 131 StPO), Überlegungen zur Rechtslage im Nachgang der Entscheidung des Europäischen Gerichtshofs vom 27.5.2019, StraFo 2019, 397-403
- Oehmichen/Weißenberger, Digitaloffensive im Strafrecht! Verbesserte Bekämpfung von Cyberkriminalität durch das IT-Sicherheitsgesetz 2.0?, KriPOZ 3, 2019, 174-182, online verfügbar auf: https://kripoz.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/oehmichen-weissenberger-digitaloffensive-im-strafrecht.pdf
- Oehmichen, Business crime and investigations in Germany, Practical Law 2018, online available at https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/Document/I0b79d7888f4c11e8a5b3e3d9e23d7429/View/FullText.html?transitionType=SearchItem&contextData=(sc.Search)
- Oehmichen [Mitherausgeberin und Autorin], in Knierim/Oehmichen/Beck/Geisler: Gesamtes Strafrecht Aktuell, Nomos 2018, Kapitel 1: Staatsschutz, Organisierte Kriminalität; Kapitel 7: Nachstellung; Kapitel 9: Sportwettbetrug; Kapitel 10: Korruption im Gesundheitswesen; Kapitel 11: Illegale Kraftfahrzeugrennen; Kapitel 12: Verbrechen der Aggression; Kapitel 14: Fahrverbot als Nebenstrafe; Kapitel 15: Elektronische Fußfessel, Sicherungsverwahrung; Kapitel 17: Beschuldigtenrechte [gemeinsam mit Knierim]; Kapitel 20: Quellen-TKÜ und Online-Durchsuchung [gemeinsam mit Knierim]; Kapitel 23: Europäische Ermittlungsanordnung
- Oehmichen, Country Report Germany, in: Hungarian Helsinki Committee, Implementing Article 7 of the Right to Information Directive Across the European Union, 2017, S. 29-44 (online verfügbar auf: https://www.helsinki.hu/wp-content/uploads/HHC_Article_7_mapping_document_EN_2017.pdf)
- Oehmichen, „Der ausländische Beweis“, StraFo 2015, 230 (together with von Wistinghausen and Schneider)
- Oehmichen, in: Abiola Makinwa (ed.) Negotiated Settlements for Corruption Offence: A European Perspective, 2015, „Position in Germany“
- Oehmichen, „UN-EU-Terrorist Listings - Legal Foundations and Impacts“, ZIS 9/2014, 412 (online available at www.zis-online.com/dat/artikel/2014_9_847.pdf)
- Oehmichen, in: Mark Klamberg (ed.), Commentary on the Law of the International Criminal Court, 2014, „Commentary on Article 110 of the Rome Statute and Rules 223 and 224 of the Rules of Procedure and Evidence of the International Criminal Court“ (online available at www.casematrixnetwork.org/cmn-knowledge-hub/icc-commentary-clicc)
- Oehmichen, „Die Modernisierung des Außenwirtschaftsstrafrechts“, NZWiSt 2013, 339
- Oehmichen, in: Esser/Günther/Jäger/Öztürk/Mylonopoulos (ed.), Festschrift für Kühne, 1. Aufl. 2013, „Sonderbares Recht am Sondergerichtshof für den Libanon - Die Entscheidungen zur Legalität und In Absentia“ S. 613 ff.; (re-print of a previous publication of ZIS 2013, 385, online available at http://www.zis-online.com/dat/artikel/2013_9-10_771.pdf)
Back to the Lawyer’s overview